Thursday, August 8, 2013

Book Review: Alex Cross, Run by James Patterson

Title: Alex Cross, Run
Author: James Patterson
Publisher: Arrow Books [Random House India]
Pages: 416
Price: Rs 350
Genre: Fiction / Crime / Thriller / Mystery
Rating: 7/10
Format: Paperback


It’s not every day that I get a naked girl answering the door I knock on.”

That is the first line of this book. And you are hooked to it, till you finish the book. Not for nothing, it is mentioned on the back cover, below the author’s name ‘the pages turn themselves’.

This book was my constant companion in the 2 days I read [and finished] it. ‘Alex Cross, Run’ by James Patterson is an extremely fast-paced crime thriller from ‘Alex Cross’ series.   

Alex Cross, from Metropolitan Police Department, is in charge of three investigations while also going through a troubled time at home related to his foster teenage daughter. The bodies are falling one after another, which look like cases of serial murders. With 3 serial killers to chase and stop them from doing more damage, Alex Cross has clearly his hands full. While he is unraveling the mystery of serial murders, Alex Cross is also being closely watched by someone, inflicting personal and professional setbacks on him. Alex Cross’ personal life is also drawn into the story that involves his foster daughter. In his wife Bree, who is also a cop, he has a companion who empathizes about his work while also becomes an ally in times of crisis.

Though this book is unputdownable but it has its flaws. As we read the story, we know who are the killers but I felt the ‘why’ part was not clearly explained in the end. Though Alex Cross is sharp and passionate about his work but a few times I found his actions quite naïve. A few times when the narrative would focus on one particular murder or series of murders, the other ones would seem forgotten, making you wonder what was happening over there. But that is a small glitch in the narrative.


Alex Cross, Run is for anyone who enjoys the good old crime thriller genre. If you are looking for a quick read, this one is for you.

Here are a few of my favourite lines from the book:

"If speed was my number one priority right now, discretion was a close second."

"... and for just a little while, I could pretend that my biggest problem was deciding between the salmon and the New York strip with Kinkead's Scotch whiskey sauce."

"It was a game of political football, and right now, I was the ball."

Note: The text in italics have been quoted from the book.

Review Book courtesy: Random House India
Image source: Amazon

2 comments:

  1. These fast paced murder mysteries are good to read for a change! I am reading this Tilly Bagshwe (Sidney Sheldon) book which deserves one sittiting ki reading but I am not getting time :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, and so are chicklits :-) A thriller will not give you time to think, while chicklit does not require you to think ha ha!
      I have decided to read thrillers on weekends, when husband is home and I can have more time to read the book. Since thrillers are best read at one go, it will also push me to finish the book in 2 days, if the book is good.
      This book was so fast-paced, I carried this book around my house too, and therefore finished it in 2 days during weekend.
      You will like this book.

      Delete