Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Red Sun: Travels Naxalite Country by Sudeep Chakravarti


This is not a book which I have read myself. I generally refer Book Reviews of The Hindu or Business World to find out about good books which may not be of popular genre. You might not get it in Crossword. I could not find it in most of the online book shops.

V.R. Lakshminarayanan states in The Hindu - “Reading Sudeep Chakravarti’s Red Sun, a travelogue-cum-political narrative of his travels through India’s ever lengthening Red corridor, is intimidating. The picture of young Indian intellectuals, a collection of educated, unemployed and unemployable youth coming out of schools in JNU fashion is demolished by the stories that Sudeep unveils. One better watch, he warns of the imminent peril that a large chunk of India may explode any moment, for the stories are real.” You may want to check out the complete review here.
I have not been majorly into non-fiction till now but of late, I feel I need to get out of my ignorance about our own country. Watching Sudhir Mishra’s "Hazaar Khwahishen Aisi”, which is set against the Naxal revolution, was quite intriguing. I had only passingly read about Naxalite attacks in the interiors of Bihar, Bengal, Orissa and Andhra Pradesh; though the gruesome cover page of Outlook, from years ago, has stuck to my sub-conscious. It had the picture of a policeman carrying the head of a victim.
Engrossed in the mushy romances of Indian cinema and Mills and Boons, I never really tried finding out more about the cause for this struggle. When I came across this book, while my usual skimming through of Hindu Book Reviews, I could not ignore it. It definitely goes on my bookshelf!

Available at Rs 396 @ Strand Book Stall, Rs 470 @ Flipkart and Rs 386.10 @ BSBazaar. Strand Book Stall charges Shipping at actuals. The rest two have Free Shipping. Check out the respective sites for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment