Monday, September 28, 2009

Review: Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella


After reading a lot about Mahabharata, Mughals and some serious fiction as well, I picked up "Remember Me?" because I wanted to read a quick one this time and something light. Knowing Sophie Kinsella, I was pretty sure I would be able to finish it off quickly. And yes, I did complete it in 3 days straight (and those were weekdays!).

Why I picked up this book?
  • Because I have read all of Sophie Kinsella's books and find them absolutely hilarious
  • Because this was the only book, apart from the latest "Twenties Girl" that I had not read
  • Sophie is the queen of chicklit
What’s the book about?
The book has an interesting plot wherein Lexi Smart wakes upto a perfect life – a perfect body, perfect teeth and a perfect husband. Lexi meets with an accident in her Mercedes, and when she wakes up in the hospital, three years of her life are erased from her memory and she goes back to the day when she had a fall, 3 years back, on the street. So she does not remember anything that happens to her after that. From here starts Lexi’s journey of discovering her last 3 years and her life, because she does not identify with the new Lexi at all.

How is the book?
Though a fat book, it is really a fast-paced one. You don’t get bored. You would want to keep moving. Though it does drag at some places, but you still want to move on to know how Lexi puts together bits and pieces.
There are some places where you do feel certain things difficult to digest, but you let it pass.

My verdict
I will give it 8 out of 10. It is a good pick for all chicklit lovers. May be it is not quite in the league of "Confessions of a Shopaholic" but the plot is quite engaging. Sophie Kinsella's first book was truly outstanding and none of her other books really ever matched upto the novelty of that. I think it happens with all the writers because the first books are generally the most passionate ones. After that you just keep on trying to match the brilliance of your first book.

Image source: Amazon

  

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm I had liked this book it was not actually typically Sophie Kinsella to some extent...I think I had read this before demolishing the Shopaholic series!!!

    Anyways nice review as always "_

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, I thought the way Sophie Kinsella stretched the things too far was very "Shopaholic" series style. In fact, I have noticed that in all of her books but love them anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @rohit - thank you :-) I am a big Sophie Kinsella fan

    ReplyDelete