Friday, September 13, 2013

Book Recommendation: 10 Takeaways from 'Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids'

I just finished reading this wonderful book called ‘Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: HowTo Stop Yelling and Start Connecting’ by Dr. Laura Markham. That does not mean I yell. OK, sometimes I do. But the reason I like reading these books is that I don’t want my inadequacies to influence my child’s life.

Books cannot teach you how to raise a child, but they can certainly offer rational and inspiring insights to become a better parent, and therefore a better person.

This book essentially believes in the simple philosophy that kids are people too, and they deserve empathy, respect and connection. See, on the face of it, we all agree with this philosophy but when we are really having a tough time, we get caught up in ‘trying to discipline’ or ‘teaching the right thing’ or such trappings of being a parent. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. Will try to read.

    Regards
    Business line

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I don’t want my inadequacies to influence my child’s life." I just loved this honest statement from you...Probably this is one of the scariest aspects of being parents, especially a mother..

    ReplyDelete